Bacon Lentil Soup
- 1½ cup Lentils
- 1½ cup. Diced Bacon Should equal to 1 to 1/2 pounds Bacon.
- 2 cup. Onion
- 6 Roma Tomatoes
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Granulated Onion
- 1 tbs White Vinegar
- Salt roughly 1½ tablespoon
- Pepper roughly ½ teaspoon
- Cooked lentils following cooking/measurement directions on bag. Add a pinch of salt and pepper while boiling lentils.
- Roughly chop cilantro, onions, Tomatoes and place in blender with garlic. Blend until puréed and set aside.
- Dice Bacon small to medium-size cubes. Place diced Bacon into soup pot on medium high heat.
- Cook until Bacon is caramelized/rendered all fat. Stir constantly so you do not burn Bacon.
- Take Bacon off of high heat if necessary to avoid burning Bacon.
- Once Bacon is caramelized add puréed mixture and one half of the lentils (Liquid included)-and stir three or four times. Bring to a simmer.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper, Bay Leaves and granulated onions and stir. (At this point taste the soup!!)
- Add remaining lentils with liquid and white vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until lentils are at desired tenderness.